Sunday, March 19, 2017

Glowing

It's been a couple of weeks now since our big women's event at our church and I think that I have recovered enough to write about it. In case you missed other posts, the event is called Fashioned and the theme this year was being Fashioned in Strength and was a very busy two night event. Being a sisterhood group leader, I was super involved both evenings and was in the skit which made for a crazy busy weekend. Friday night started around 5:00pm (I got my times mixed up and accidentally got there early) in downtown Sac. The space was beautiful and intimate and very welcoming for our small group of women coming to the first night. Women were greeted and welcomed by sisterhood group leaders before we all entered into a time of worship. The worship was powerful and passionate and you really felt the presence of the Lord in that room. After worship, our guest speaker, Deborah Giles of Jesus Culture, was introduced and she proceeded to do something that I honestly have never really witnessed in person before. I mean I have always believed that it happens; we have proof of it happening in the bible and I have heard stories of it happening now a days, but growing up in a somewhat conservative church, it wasn't something I ever got to experience. You see, our speaker hears from God. She is a modern day prophet. During worship she heard a word from God for specific women in the room. After worship she went around the room sharing that personal, specific word with those specific women. She went right up to them and spoke truth over them and shared with them the personal message of what God wanted them to hear. It was moving and inspiring and made me so excited to be a witness to that. She then spoke about strength and our theme. She spoke about growing up in ministry and some of the obstacles she had to face. Her word was encouraging and uplifting and filled the women in the room, including myself with strength and excitement for night two.

Night two was on Saturday which was a super long day. It started with breakfast with a sisterhood group, followed by lifting with Jessica for the day. I then ran home for a bit to be with Toby and eat some lunch. But then it was out the door again at 12:30 and off to the Crest for set up and prep. Most of the afternoon was spent moving boxes, decorating balloons, and helping to transform the Crest into a welcoming, fun, and beautiful environment for the women coming later that evening. Like I said earlier, I was in the skit so I was lucky enough to have someone do my makeup for me. She did my eyebrows for me (which is awesome because I have no idea how to do them... I sort of make it up each day I do them...) and some blush and stuff. After make-up, I rushed upstairs for a quick run through of the sketch and to warm up a little for my part in the skit. The skit was a Hans and Franz parody in which we had some "volunteers" come and show up the strong men on the stage. My part was to do a deadlift. The boys did their lift first, then asked for a "volunteer." I went up and told them to put on more weight, then did a quick set of three with the bar and three plates (it was only a 10, and 25, and a 35... nothing crazy). The audience went nuts! And even though it wasn't that much weight, it felt really good to display an example of physical strength in front of a room of supportive, strong, and loving women of God.

But before all of this happened, I joined the rest of the sisterhood group leaders in welcoming women to the event with signs and lots of yelling. An old coworker came to the event with her daughter and they were shocked to see me so involved in the event. From welcoming people, to being in the skit, to  even being on the prayer team after the event, she was surprised and impressed at the person I had become. Many people commented on my makeup and that I looked really good, but one sisterhood group leader told me that I was just glowing. I myself was again surprised and was almost unable to recognize myself that evening. Not because I had make up on or because of what I was wearing (which was leggings because I had to lift... so nothing cute) or because I was able to lift some weights, but because God truly has been transforming me and molding me into a new person. It's amazing how God can take a quiet, comfortable introvert and transform her into a tool for His purpose and His glory.

Once again, our speaker Deborah brought the word. Women were moved and encouraged and I believe that many of them found freedom in Jesus that night. I had the opportunity to pray with many women, and although I felt inferior and unable to offer them anything, I was encouraged that in my weakness, He is made strong.

It's now been several weeks since the event but I am still so encouraged by all that happened that weekend. I was reminded of my strength in Christ and in the community I am surrounded by. Remember that you are strong in whatever God has given you purpose to do. Everything you have been given, everything you are, and everything you ever could and will be can be used to reveal His glory. That is where our strength comes from. Be encouraged. Remember that you are strong. You are loved. And you are Beautiful!


SaveSave

No comments: