Sunday, November 29, 2009

Ain't It Good

Last night I had the unbelievable pleasure of attending the Simi Valley Cultural Arts Center production of Children of Eden. This play is one of Steven Schwartz's musical wonders and my good high school friend Darrienne Lissette Gross stared as Eve and Mama Noah. As the names probably tell you, this play is an artistic interpretation of the book of Genesis (specifically the story of Adam and Eve in the garden up until Cain and Abel and then jumps to the story of Noah and the Ark in the second act). The music was brilliant and the actors were incredible but the content of the play really bothered me. I say 'artistic interpretation' because it is a terrible interpretation of the book of Genesis. I won't even get into how off the content and order of events were in the play because they are too many to even begin to count, but what bothered me the most about the play was their interpretation of God (Father in the play). They (and by they I don't mean the company because they are just going with the script they are given... I guess I mean Steven Schwartz and John Caird) painted this picture of a mean, unforgiving father who abandoned his people. It just made me really sad to see this father who is nothing like the Father that I know and love.

All this to say, it was an incredible show and my friend Darrienne is AMAZING!!!! The show goes on for one more weekend so if you have the time, I highly recommend supporting one of our own, very talented Ojai native. She will also be performing in a production of Rent this coming New Year so check her out! This video is just a taste of Dar's amazing talent!



In other news, I am back to work for the next two weekends before my long 4 weekends off (with no pay which sucks but I've been trying to prepare for it for awhile now so hopefully everything will be ok... pray that my loan gets approved so I can pay for next semester which I register for on Tuesday) and I have one week left of school and one final before semester break! Ain't it good!

No comments: