Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sometimes Churches Fail...

Today I got to church a little early (5 minutes... and for a church where everyone rolls in after the first song or two, that's pretty early) and sat down by myself like I normally do. After a couple minutes of messing around on my phone, the head pastor's wife came over and introduced herself to me. She welcomed me and said she was happy that I was there. She asked me how long I had been coming to this church and I told her almost a year. She was surprised that we hadn't met yet and asked if I was involved in a Community group. I told her that I wasn't but that I attended the young adults group (7:22) sometimes. She then invited me to their community group and encouraged me to look for a group to get involved with.

It was super nice of her to invite me to her Community group and I am glad that she noticed me and said hello, but it also made me laugh a little which kinda made me sad. I have been going to this church for almost a year now and this is the FIRST time that anyone has invited me to their community group. And for a church whose mission statement is to Encounter God, Grow Through Community, and Live Your Calling, that's somewhat disappointing.

Churches fail at this everyday and it makes me sad. For introverts like me, just going to church by yourself is a challenge, let alone trying to meet people and get involved. Why did it take an entire year for someone to invite me to a Community group? And how many other people have been waiting for that invite as well?

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame the church. I recognize that I am an introvert (and have been working on that) and I need to try a little harder to meet people and get involved in things (especially when it comes to church), but it's so hard. And I think the Church has a responsibility to make people feel welcome and to look for people who you haven't met before and invite them into your circle. Sometimes Churches fail at that... And to be perfectly honest... So do I...

On another note, 7:22 has been a big blessing to me and I am finally starting to feel like I know people there and that they notice me. I have met a couple people who are kind and ask about my life. I feel welcome and feel like people would actually notice if I wasn't there. Isn't that what every introvert wants?

No comments: