Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pain in the Ass... Literally...

Have you ever pulled a muscle? Like a legitimately strained muscle that took more than a couple days to recover? I thought I had pulled muscles before... I have battled back injuries and broken bones and all sorts of strange things, but none of it compares to the pain I have felt this week. I hurt/tweaked my back/hip in Maui (who knows how... maybe the plane ride, maybe running on the beach, maybe how I slept) but I dealt with it. I stretched and walked and worked and played through the pain. I mean, it's Maui... Ain't nobody got time to be hurt while on vacation in Maui... So I made it work and had a great trip.

When I got back, I tried to find a chiropractor. I tried out one who took some x-rays and did a posture test and told me I had moderate scoliosis and he could fix me in 3 months for a measly $2000. On that note, I found a different chiropractor who I like much better and didn't require any sort of commitment. After the adjustment I felt my normal 'soreness' that most people feel after being adjusted. But again, I pushed through it. Played out at the river and played in my first indoor soccer game in years! I spent the rest of the weekend stretching, drinking water and trying to get rid of my soreness which was a different soreness than I had felt before. Finally Monday morning while doing my usual morning stretches, something just gave up. I spent the rest of the day lying face down on the floor of my bedroom because I was in too much pain to even move. When I would get up and move, the pain was overwhelming. I felt nauseated and almost as if I would pass out. Tuesday I made an appointment with my doctor for the first time since I moved up here. He told me that I had a severe strain of my gluteal muscles and prescribed me some 800mg ibuprofen and some muscle relaxers. Rest, Ice, light stretching, and meds was all he told me to do.

So here I am almost a week later. The first couple of days I pretty much laid in bed or on the couch all day long. I ate only enough to take my meds (you know... don't want to get an ulcer on top of my strained muscles) and walked only when I absolutely had to. I finally feel like I am starting to get better, but I have a feeling this is going to be something I am going to be dealing with for the rest of the summer...

In summary... I pulled my ass... I don't know how exactly it happened... Seems like a series of unfortunate events and potentially bad decisions... But I pulled my ass... And yes... It literally is a pain in the ass...

No comments: