Thursday, July 17, 2014

What is Church?

I have been asking myself this question lately. Moving to a new city I did the "Good Christian" thing and looked for a new church that I could call home. While I found one that "worked" and got the job done for awhile, I could never shake the feeling of wanting more. Even though it never felt right, I kept going because I know that's what I am 'supposed' to do. I kept going until I moved to the other side of town (well... techinically I guess it was a totally different town) and decided it was too far to go for church. I don't think we are supposed to commute for church, but what do I know...

Anyway... back to my original thought... What is church? How does it work and how do you know when one is being done 'right'? Having taken a hiadous from church for a little while (I go to one BIG church occassionally... I went on Easter and I go sometimes when my students want to go), I have been really trying figure out what I want church to look like for me. I know it is different for everyone but here is what I think church is...

  • Church is a big family. 
  • Church is a community of people who love each other unconditionally 
  • Church is a place lacking in barriers. 
  • Church is a place where people are not looked down on because of their age, race, gender, or anything else.
  • Church is done during the week in the interactions with those around us. 
  • Church, the location and service, is merely a gathering and an opportunity to worship.
  • Church isn't just a place or a service but the people who go out into the community and demonstrate Christ's love in their actions.
This is what I want in a church. This is what I am searching for. I have yet to find a church like this in Sacramento, but I am hopeful that I will find one soon. Wish me luck.

No comments: