Thursday, September 18, 2014

Did You Miss Me???

There is something about being noticed and having someone recognize your efforts that just feels good. Today someone pulled me aside and asked me out for coffee. No not like a date (he is married and 40). This was a coworker of mine who I never really talk to cause he is usually in his own world and I am in mine. We have had a few run ins in which I usually end up feeling like an idiot. He is super sarcastic and his humor is very dry and just sort of makes you feel like crap sometimes. 

But today he came into my room and asked if we could speak privately. He then said that he wanted to maybe meet up for coffee sometime. He realized recently that he has missed me these last few years. Not like miss me cause we don't hang out, but like missed me as a person. Missed me as someone who puts a lot into my job and my kids. Missed me and failed to show and express how much he appreciates my efforts. He said that I wasn't the only one he missed. Another coworker who went to work somewhere else this year was another one who also gave a lot to the school with little acknowledgement. He regrets not seeing him and developing a relationship there and is hoping to do better by me. He realized how valuable I am and doesn't want to miss me in all of the whoopla of the year. Why does something like that make me cry every time? 

While the conversation was really positive and made me feel really good it made me wonder, who have I been missing? Who have I missed in the business of my day? Who have you missed today? 

No comments: