Friday, November 14, 2014

High Expectations...

Are my expectations too high?  The last month or so I have really been wrestling with this question. Expectations are a funny thing. They can be a lot to live up to. And they are everywhere. Expectations you have for yourself. Expectations you have for other people. Expectaions people have of you. And what happens if you don't measure up? What happens if you can't measure up.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. It started really when I started getting a TON of complaints about my PreCalculus Honors class. As it turns out, many of these students have never had to work hard in math in their entire lives and my class has been a rather rude awakening for them to say the least. Many couldn't handle the pressure and dropped the class without even trying. Some switched to a lower level and are having much more success there. Some have decided to stick it out but are struggling every step of the way. Nothing has changed in my curriculum in the last year. I am teaching the exact same material as years past. So what's different? Why is this class such a struggle for so many of them? Is it me?

And then there is this whole trying to hold kids accountable for their actions and choices. Handing out demerits for missing assignments and being the unofficial "dresscode nazi"... holding the bar constant for all of my kids. Holding them accountable when they miss school for suspensions despite resistance or lack of support from administration or even parents for that matter. Am I wrong? Should I fold? Everyone else is saying it's ok, so why shouldn't I? If their parents aren't holding them accountable, then why should I?

I have come to the conclusion that I have high expectations. And I don't think that is going to change anytime soon. I am not doing anyone any favors by letting them skate by with less then what I expect. Life does not let you skate by. Life will hand these kids much worse than I could ever give them and if I am not going to hold that bar for these kids, then who will?

No comments: