Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Church With Friends...

This last Sunday I went to a new church. It's crazy the amount of stress and anxiety I get going to a new place. Just pulling up to the church and sitting in my car before walking into the church I could feel my anxiety levels rising. I even knew people at this church and I was still freaking out. #introvertproblems 

Anyway, I went to a new church. It's a church that a coworker and her husband pastor together. I told my coworker that I was coming and she made me sit in the front row with her despite my extreme introvert problems. I'm not about that front row life but #pastorswifeproblems I guess. 

So yeah. I went to a new church. It has been one of the greatest struggles/challenges I have faced since moving up here to find a church that I could potentially call home. I don't know if my standards are too particular or just that I am an introvert and so feeling "at home" anywhere is just a struggle in general. But this new church seemed so familiar to me. I don't know if it was just the fact that I knew people there or if it was something else. But the church was full of so many different age levels. I was introduced the the church "grandpa" and we talked about math and the Big Bang Theory. Grandpas would come and hold little babies. Pastors wives kiss babies foreheads (yes B, I saw that...)... It just felt so comfortable. 

And then the music.... Happy Day. All in All. Oldies but goodies! Loved it! 

And the speaking... I may be biased because it's my coworkers husband, but it was just so real and honest. I think actually knowing the pastor and their family makes a huge difference for me. Knowing not only who they are but having a relationship with them means the world to me. And maybe that's the key. Maybe that is what I have been missing all of this time. Maybe the answer to what church is, is just a pastor and their family who are open and real. Not hiding anything. Not pretending or claiming to be perfect or to have it all together. People who will invite you to lunch with them after the service and force you to sit in the front row with them even though they know it's uncomfortable. 

This is church done right. And I'm excited to go back (just maybe not in the front row next time...)

No comments: