Sunday, February 19, 2017

Fashioned in Strength

Growing up in church and working at a Christian camp and conference center,I remember seeing the women’s groups and thinking that I would never be a part of something like that when I grew up. At camp, I saw women’s groups come in and out, running their events, and never had a desire to be a part it. I was too much of an introvert and didn’t think that socializing with a group of women was something I wanted or needed. Oh my, how God has a sense of humor. I first joined a sisterhood group at Project Church because I felt like I needed to get involved. To be perfectly honest, I was trying to sign up for community groups to meet guys but it was in between sessions and there were no community groups at that time. So I figured, ok… why not… I’ll give this a shot.

After my first sisterhood meeting, I was hooked. We met for breakfast and I was amazed at the diversity of the women in our group and their interest in getting to know me. Not what I do or whether I am married or not; all they were interested in was getting to know the real me. To say that my sisterhood group has been a blessing to me is an understatement. To be surrounded by a group of women from different walks of life, with different experiences and stories has been incredible. Being able to share my life with other women who have had similar experiences, who constantly speak truth into my life and point me back to Jesus has meant more to me than I can express in words.

If you have ever been to the Redwood National forest, you have seen these beautiful, monstrous trees that grow to hundreds of feet tall. Yet you may have also noticed that their roots sometimes are popping up out of the ground. In reality, the roots of these trees only grow 6 to 12 feet deep. So how do these trees withstand the winds and storms? Their roots grow out wide a good 50+ feet and intertwine with the roots of their surrounding trees. Together, they help those around them withstand the storm. This is what my sisterhood groups is for me. They have helped me withstand the storms of life by keeping me rooted in Christ and have strengthened me to continue to grow tremendously over this last year and for that I am truly grateful.

No comments: