Thursday, October 26, 2006

I Think I Think Too Much

The past month and a half or so I have been playing women's league soccer at the Rec Dept. It started out really fun. We had a great team and we were the only team that had enough players. Around the third game or so, players started getting hurt and not showing up and it stopped being fun.

A couple weeks ago after I finally gave into the fact that our team was not going to succeed like I wanted us to, I decided to just accept our fate and have fun with it. So I have been trying to teach my mom how to play soccer just by giving her pointers throughout the game. Last week she was saying that she couldn't get her brain to tell her legs to do what she wanted them to in time to make the play. So I told her to not think about it and to just do it. Tonight she took my advise and she kicked butt. She played the best I have ever seen her play.

So that made me wonder. All it took for my mom to play well was to stop thinking about what she had to do and just do it. I wonder how many times in our daily lives we think too much about what we should do instead of just doing it. When we see a homeless person asking for food or money, do we think about all the drugs or alcohol that he might buy with the money that we give him instead of just helping out another human being in need? Our if we see someone hurting, do we stop and think about how we can help them, missing our opportunity to actually do what they need? I think I think too much.

Do you think about the moon? Do you think about the stars? Do you think about why we sneeze in the sun? Do you think about when you're older? Do you think about what kind of tattoo your grandkid's gonna like? Do you think about all the books you haven't read? I think I think too much.

Here's a thought. Thinking is wonderful, but if we do it too much it distracts us from living our lives the way we were born to live them. I'm not saying stop thinking completely, but to find a nice balance between not thinking at all and thinking too much. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

ATSmith said...

Okay, I am convicted by "thinking" too much about the homeless person on the street. It's like I freak out ... Should I give him food, money, just smile, ingnore him??? It's like going to the gym. I can't think about it because then I will talk myself out of going ... you just have to do it and make it part of your life. Thanks Michaela.