Monday, August 24, 2009

What is a Function?

Def (n): a Function is an assignment between two sets A and B such that any element of A is assigned to exactly one element of B.

Today marked my first official day at Cal State Channel Islands. I only had one class which if you can't tell already was Calculus. Today we did a little review on Functions but I spent most of the time thinking about how all math professors are exactly the same! Has anyone else ever noticed this? I am not sure if it applies to High School math teachers so much... well... maybe it does... Let's see... Most math teachers (and I say most and not all because it's not fair to say all) are tall? Not super tall but in the 5'8" club at least (which is taller than me so I say tall)... Asian (and again, I say most... and it's not a racist comment... just an observation)... Awkward (and I say this because it's true... they walk into the room all quiet and reserved and try and crack jokes that aren't funny... but are funny because they think it's funny)... Quiet and Reserved... and they all have the same sense of humor (they like the puns and play on words... it's crazy but they are all the same).

Class went well today. Syllabus, short intros, how was your summer? all that great stuff. And the best part, we got out early. Tomorrow will be much longer as I have three classes and am going to try and pick up a fourth. I'll let you know how that goes later!

1 comment:

Eschew obfuscation! said...

about the math profs... SO TRUE!! goodness. especially about the jokes, and being quiet and reserved. lol. hit the nail right on the head. =)
glad to hear some more about your summer. =)