Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Superiority...

Yesterday in class a girl got up and started talking about a Human Trafficking event that is happening at my school in a week or so. She stood up there talking about for a little while and all I could think about was how much information she was getting wrong and how poor of a job she was doing and inviting people to this event. I felt superior to her for knowing more about it and for having known about it for several years. I felt this way for most of her presentation (which ended with an invitation to an Invisible Children event on campus which was sparked a whole nother set of feelings of "yeah, old news... Trendy issue...") and then had to take a step back and ask myself "What in the world are you thinking? Yeah, Human Trafficking is something you were really passionate and concerned about years ago, but that drive has faded. What are you doing to help the cause? Maybe this isn't new news but it's not old news. This is current news. This is something that was not only a problem 5 years ago but it was a problem 50 years ago and it's a problem now. Today. And she is doing something about it. Why aren't you?"

Sometimes I catch myself feeling superior to others. The only thing I can think to do is take a step back and knock myself down a few pegs before someone else does... It doesn't matter how many people show up for the event. The truth is she is bettering God's Kingdom here and now. And it makes me think... What am I doing?

No comments: