Monday, January 23, 2017

And So I March

This weekend was nuts. First the inauguration of a man that many (including myself) believe to be unfit for the office of President. Next the March of millions of women, men, and children around the country attempting to make a statement to the new president and the world that women matter. That people matter. That love matters. Finally as a result of the march, social media, mainstream media, dining room tables, coffee shops, and cocktail parties around the country are posting their opinions and debating the issues and legitimacy of the March. So why not throw in my own two cents about it.

I'll start by saying that I did not march on Saturday, but I wanted to. Well... I was very conflicted about it. It was something that I have been in prayer about for over a month now (since I first heard about the march after the election). The Women's March of Sacramento website used the tagline, "We stand together in solidarity with our partners and children for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families - recognizing that our vibrant and diverse communities are the strength of our country." Which I 100% agree with. I believe that our rights, our safety, our health, and our families are extremely important and that is absolutely something worth marching for. I would march for that. I believe that change happens when we stand up and let our voices be heard. That's what this country was built on. Standing up for what is important. I will march for that.

Worker's Rights. Equal pay for women in the workplace. Just because some women get paid equally (or even more than some men), doesn't mean that others aren't hurting in that area of their lives. I will march for that.

Ending Violence. Drawing attention to amount of violence and turmoil in our country. The school shootings, the "Black Lives Matter" movement, the attacks against police officers, the attacks in night clubs, hate crimes. Supporting people who are hurting is a fundamental principle of being a Christian. Standing up for those who cannot stand up for themselves. Or better yet, standing with those who will stand up for themselves but need more voices and bodies to make some noise.  Just because someone says that "Black Lives Matter" doesn't mean that they do not believe that other lives matter. By supporting a group that feels like they have been ostracized and targeted for centuries, you are not minimizing the other groups that matter too. I will march for that.

Women's healthcare. Access to affordable healthcare services for women. Birth control, AIDS/HIV screenings, care, and prevention, medically accurate sex education. I will march for that.

Immigrant Rights. Civil Rights. Environmental Justice. Disability Rights. LGBTQIA Rights. I will march for that.

What I will not march for is in support of legal abortion across the country.

This one is hard for me. As a Human being and a Christian, I believe all life is sacred and that a life begins as soon as that little heart starts beating in their mother's belly. With that being said, I NEVER would judge someone who has had to make that choice. I would never stand in front of an abortion clinic and tell women who feel like they have no other option that they are going to hell. People make choices all of the time for many different reasons and it is not my job to tell them that they are wrong. It is 100% my job to love them and support them and hopefully help to fix a system that is very broken. I read another blog post (which is really what inspired me to write this one), that said if every church in the country took in one foster child, we would eliminate the foster care system entirely. I'm not sure about the actual statistics on that, but what a radical idea? That if Christians were actually doing what Jesus told them to do, we could actually make a difference that mattered. I will march for that. For Christians to stand up and follow Jesus' teachings (and I include myself in that category). But I cannot march when choosing to end a life is on the agenda.

And I still support those who would and did march. I know many people that I love and respect who showed up on Saturday and I am with you. The March was about so many different things for so many different people. For some if was a protest against the new administration. For others it was about women's rights. For still others it was about immigrant rights, civil rights, and for many it was just about love.

Had I gone, there are many things that I would have been marching for. For me it wasn't about the administration. Although I am disappointed and hesitant of what the future holds for our country with a man like that in charge, I am comforted by the knowledge that Jesus is Lord and HE holds my future! For me, the march was about equality. Equality for women, immigrants, minorities, widows, and orphans in their distress. Treating others with respect and love and finding ways to come together as a country and heal what so many of us have sadly broken. That is what I march for. That's what I hope many of us would march for.

But our march doesn't have to be on Saturday, January 21st, 2017. Our march was yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Our march is in how to raise our families. Our march is in how we treat our coworkers and friends. Our march is in what we stand up for in the day to day when life is hard and when we don't have a million others standing alongside of us. Our march is in our words and our actions. Our march is in treating others with respect and love, even when we do not agree. Our march is in trying to understand others and loving them when and for the times we disagree. Our march is in the choices we make each and everyday. Our march is now. And so I march.

No comments: