Sunday, March 19, 2017

Frozen Chosens

What do you think of when you hear the term Catholic? What is your experience with the Catholic church? Working at a Catholic school, I have learned a lot about what the Catholics believe and how they pray and worship. While I know there are things that I do not agree with, there are many things that I love about the Catholic church. Their traditions, their prayers, their services (sometimes), all are very thought out and beautiful. I have met some devout Catholics who go to Mass every Sunday and I have met a few that are more relaxed in their practice. Overall though I have found that they have a huge heart for others and a desire to serve and bring God's kingdom here on earth.

Now, if you have every been to any sort of Catholic service, you will know that it can be a little stuffy at times. I don't mean that in a bad way, but there is a precise order and routine to it all. And routine sounds bad but I don't really know what else to call it. There isn't much movement when singing and there is absolutely no clapping after songs or anything like that.

This last Monday, the kids had the day off of school so that we could have our staff spiritual retreat day. We had a guest speaker for the day who I seriously thought was maybe a Southern Baptist in another life because she was unlike any Catholic I have ever met. She proclaimed the gospel (which is definitely NEVER done by women during Mass, but it wasn't Mass so they said it was alright), she dressed up and acted out bible stories. She made us stand up and sing and dance and clap our hands which made a lot of people, including myself, extremely uncomfortable. She could tell that people were uncomfortable and made a comment about how the Catholic church tends to get a little stiff at times, calling themselves the "Frozen Chosens." But she encouraged everyone to get out of their comfort zone for the day and really allow themselves to be open to what God was doing.

While I found that title hilarious, I couldn't help but feel a little convicted. How many times in my life, and even during that day retreat, have I felt uncomfortable in expressing my love and worship for God? Why was it ok for me to worship in my church on Sunday with reckless abandon but I could side step and clap during our spiritual retreat on Monday? How many times in my day to day life have I chosen the path of the Frozen Chosen instead of complete surrender in worship of the King of Kings?

No comments: