Thursday, March 02, 2017

I Get Knocked Down... But I Get Up Again...

Being a teacher is hard. Sometimes I forget how hard my job is, but am quickly reminded when I have weeks like this one (it's funny, now that I think of it because the last time I had a rough week like this was right before our last big Sisterhood event... oh how the enemy likes to attack when God is about to do something big...). It's easy to get into your routine and go through the motions as a teacher. You sort of get into a groove and lessons are going well, you are getting through your curriculum, you are having positive interactions with your students, and you really feel like you are making a difference... Then you get the email... Any other teachers out there know the email I am talking about... The one from a parent or admin questioning your practice or policy or teaching or knowledge or... the list goes on...

Not a big deal right? It's just an email... But sometimes this email can seriously throw you for a loop... You become defensive and hurt that people would question your motives or your ability to do your job. You become angry and bitter and just want it all to go away, but have a hard time pushing it out of your mind. I got one of those emails this week. And without going into details about what it was about, it really threw me for a loop a little. It made me feel small and like I wasn't good enough. It made me feel like a bad teacher and a bad person and made me question if what I am doing is really making a difference or is worth it in the long run.

After reviewing the email with a few people, I was reminded that I am a good teacher and I am doing what needs to be done to help my students be successful. But it's crazy how a few written words can really just cut you down and make you feel small.

If you are a teacher, I feel you. I know what those emails are like and I know how they make us feel. You are a good teacher and you know what you are doing. Stand strong in that.

If you are a parent, be kind to your child's teacher. Most of them really love your kids and want the best for them just like you. Work with them and don't cut them down.

No comments: