Sunday, March 19, 2017

Purpose Over Position


We started a new series in church today in preparation for Easter Sunday in a few weeks. Today's message was called Purpose Over Position and it was super encouraging. Pastor Caleb shared from the book of Mark when James and John ask Jesus to save them a seat at His right and left hand in Heaven. Jesus then talks about what they must do in order to be great, they must make themselves servants and slaves to all. "But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (Mark 10:43-45). We are called to serve, not to be served.

The problem in Mark and the problem even today in the church is that we get caught up in what position we hold. We want to be the ones getting all of the attention and all of the glory, but we are unwilling to put in the work required of being a servant to others. Caleb encouraged us to focus more on what God can do through us rather than the position we hold. He also shared three ways in which God can work through us. 

God works through us according to our gifts. We have all been given specific gifts that we must use to serve those around us, not just at church on Sundays but in our everyday lives. Our gifts are muscles that must be exercised. We have to "stop waiting for God to elevate [us] and start serving where God has placed you right now." I took this step a little over a year ago when I started serving with in the nursery. God has given me a huge love for kids and the ability to care for and nurture them and I knew I had to put that to use. So I started serving. Not to get anything out of it or to be recognized for my contribution, but to use the gifts God has given me. Secondly, God works through us according to our willingness. We have to have a willing heart. Jesus didn't pick the most talented, spiritual, or gifted people to be his disciples. He was and still is looking for people who are willing. And finally, God works through us according to our purpose. We have all been given a purpose to serve and to love both in and out of the church.


Another thing Caleb said that resonated with me today is that "God elevates that which we cultivate." Like I said, I started serving at church a little over a year ago. It took me awhile to dive in but I feel God pulling on my heart to get involved and to use the gifts he has given me. So I started serving in in the nursery. After serving consistently for several months, I was asked to serve at the West Sac campus once a month with the Preschool program. Later I was asked to co-lead a sisterhood group and eventually lead it by myself for a little while. I found myself getting asked to do more and more things and while it did give me more position, all I wanted and still want to do it serve in whatever way God is asking me to serve. This last week, I got a call from Pastor Chrissy asking if I would be willing to let them put my name up for a position on the Board for Project Church. I was shocked and thought, well why me? Who am I? I'm single, young (well... almost 30... I don't feel that young physically but maybe like mentally???), a woman, and have only been going to church here for just over 2 years. But what she shared with me was so encouraging and uplifting. She said that many people had suggested my name when they were thinking and praying about potential new board members. They spoke of my faithfulness and my consistency in serving. They spoke of the maturity and wisdom I have shared with others and the advice and counsel that I have given to others in the church which is why they wanted me on the board. At the Partners meeting that weekend, they introduced the possible new board members and asked that those present vote on the new board members. Myself, along with the three others who were nominated were all voted in as new board members. And while it's exciting and new, it consider it a huge honor to continue to serve my church in this new area. God really does elevate that which we cultivate. 

Be encouraged. Live out your purpose. Ask God to use you and work through you. He is going to do amazing things. The best is yet to come!

NOTE: Here is the sermon if you would like to hear more.

No comments: