Monday, September 14, 2015

It's That Simple

Ok... So much to say and not much time to say it... So much has happened in these last few months that I can't even begin to sum it up in this one post. From leaving my old job, to finishing my Masters, to summer fun, to teaching summer school, and now starting my new job... It's been a wild ride. One in which I promise to write about soon (well... maybe... we'll see if I get to it...), but right now I wanted to share with you something that was shared with me (and the rest of the school) at our back to school Mass (that's right... I work at a Catholic school and I have already bee to three Masses in the last three weeks and will be going to another one next week... Look at me now!)

I never thought I would be working at a Catholic school, but God has made it very clear in many different ways that this is where He wants me to be. Having worked in this school now for the last 5 weeks, there are many things that I am learning and sort of loving about the Catholic faith. The traditions and prayers are beautiful and extremely meaningful. And while many things in this faith becomes routine for both students and staff, the heart behind it all is real. The purpose and desires and convictions of this faith are no different than my own and I love that.

Anyway, at this week's back to school Mass, the new Priest appointed to our school gave his Homily (from what I can tell, it's like the sermon given at church... but MUCH shorter). During his Homily, Father Arnold shared with the students and staff three things that he thinks we all (himself included) need to say more often this year. That's it. Three things we need to say more often. You ready for them.
  1. I Thank you
  2. I am Sorry
  3. I Love You
That's it. Three things that we all need to do more in our lives. Three things that every teenager and honestly every human being needs to say more often. We have so much is our lives. We are constantly blessed by God and those around us and it's important that we demonstrate and express our gratitude. Secondly, we mess up. I mess up all the time. People around you will mess up. People will let you down. You will let other people down. We have to say we are sorry. We have to own our mistakes and grow and learn from them. And finally, tell people you love them. It really goes a long way. Expressing how you feel about others is one of the most important things we can do in our lives. It's something that I know that I don't do enough of.

So this week, here's a challenge for you. Say these three things. Hopefully you won't have to say the second one, but let's be honest, we will have to say it. Show your gratitude and say thank you. Say your sorry when you wrong someone or mess up. And most importantly, tell someone you love them.

Make it a great week!

No comments: