Saturday, June 16, 2007

Full House

Wow, it's been almost a week since I updated my blog and honestly I think it has been almost a week since I have even gotten on my laptop. I have been so busy between OVS and my family and graduations that I haven't had time or energy to even pick up my laptop and check my email (although it always sucks getting on your computer after a week and finding out that you have 0 email... thanks guys I feel real special). Anyway, OVS training began this week (again that is for my summer camp job that I have had for the last 3 years). Training wouldn't be too bad if I wasn't one of the ones doing the training. All week has been super busy prepping for the staff (they came in on Tuesday) and the kids (they come in tomorrow); between copies, schedules, planning training games (we played Zip, Zap, Zoom and Do You Love Your Neighbor again), redoing schedules for complainers, and even more copies... work has been pretty stressful.

Lets not even get started on everything else that's been going on (and when I say "Let's not" I mean here I go starting to talk about it). My mom's family came up on Wednesday (and when I say my mom's family I mean mi abuela, mis tias, mis tios, y mis primos (grandma, 2 aunts, 2 uncles, 3 cousins and a partridge in a pear tree for all of you non-spanish speakers)). Positives = lots and lots of mexican food (enchiladas, frijoles, aroz... enchiladas, beans, and rice). Negatives = a super busy house with no room to park (there are about 8 cars in my driveway at this very moment and time). But it's not all that bad. Between the nagging and the arguing, I love my mom's family. It keeps me in touch with my Mexican roots (sometimes I feel like I am very white-wash). Last night after graduation, mi abuelita went off about how back when my mom and her sisters graduated, graduation was a proper ceremony full of respect for teachers and principles (this whole rant was in Spanish by the way because she never learned English; she actually never had any schooling at all... not even elementary school). So she was absolutely appalled by all of the balls and toys (that monkey) that were being thrown around during graduation (basically everything Jan did, she thought was disrespectful). I remember in my graduation, people were throwing tortillas around. We tried to explain to her that we are all just trying to have a good time. It's a long ceremony and we have to stay entertained somehow. She wouldn't hear it. But it was a fun convo (especially since my friend Stephanie was there totally confused about what we were talking about and me trying to translate it all for her; great fun).

So graduations were fun. I feel really old. I remember my sister going to preschool with me and now she is a high school graduate. It won't be long before Janae is graduating (and so will I). tonight we are having a party and anyone is welcome to come over and enjoy tacos and all around good food. I just hope I can make it that long. I still have to go into work this morning to get stuff done before check-in and I am hoping I can find time to get my haircut, but we shall see.

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Any leftovers?

Christine H. said...

I hear you about getting zero emails. Bummer!
With a graduation like Nordhoff's (and Matilija) you gotta do something to keep from falling asleep. I've never been to such long ceremonies in all my life (and I've been to a lot). Or, just a thought, maybe my attention span is getting shorter!
Tell Sarah I said, "Congrats!"

ATSmith said...

I want flan!

Katie said...

Oh Mich...you're great...love you

Anonymous said...

BYW...I love your haircut~!
Call us the next time fam comes to town...we love allllll of that great Mexican food~!
Martha
and...what is your e-mail?

Anonymous said...

oops...BTW