Thursday, July 05, 2007

Long Day + Extra Long Day = LONG WEEK

Well, like the title of this post says, this week has been very long and it's not even over yet. Let's start at the very beginning (a very good place to start). Monday was rough because it was the first day where all of our new kids (around 50 of them) had to follow our normal schedule. While they were all finding all of their classes in the morning, I had to run around and find all of the kids I missed coming through the line (it's kinda complicated to explain but yeah). So Monday was full of whining children saying "I wanted to change my activities" which is never really fun.

Tuesday was another long day. We had a staff meeting in the morning which went pretty well. The rest of the day went according to plan. We had one kid who is kinda a turkey and is trying to manipulate all of us, but little does he realize that we are a whole lot smarter then he thinks.

Wednesday (yesterday I guess) was absolute chaos! We had to take the kids to the parade, which in and of itself is a lot of work. After the parade we all ate lunch and then I had to run the quad games all by myself! Another 3 hours standing in the sun, yelling directions to 80 kids; not my idea of a great 4th. If that wasn't enough, we then we had to open the pool (I had to lifeguard because our normal lifeguards didn't show up) for another hour which was really rough. Towards the end of lifeguarding, Dillon and Katie (Dillon and Katie are my two closest coworkers) came down to the pool and filled me in on the latest gossip about some of our unruly counselors (one of the girls is hooking up with one of our lifeguards and one of the other counselors... at the same time... crazy stuff). After OVS I went to a BBQ at the Smiths house (thanks again Amber, Ryan, and Martha). I was going to stay and watch the fireworks, but I was soooooo wiped out from the day that I went home and went to bed.

Today was probably the longest day this summer. Last night before I fell asleep, I realized that I had forgotten to prepare Activity Ballots for the kids to sign up for new activities (like I said before, it's a complicated process and it's hard to explain over the internet). Since I didn't prepare them, I had to wake up a half hour earlier (I had to be at Mason's at 7:30) and go into OVS to make copies and collate all of them for each class and each student. So that was rough and then I went in to see Mason. Poor guy is still teething and nothing seems to help very long. After three hours with Mason, I went back to OVS where I soon found out that one of our fall students (who just graduated and was not at summer camp) passed away last night. James Street just graduated from OVS lower about a month ago and after a skateboarding accident and complications in the hospital, he passed away. It is super sad and while dealing with our own personal emotions on the death, we also had to deal with breaking the news to the fall kids who knew him while not upsetting the rest of the campers with this tragedy. It was a long day and I would love to tell you more of the details about what happened, but I have another long day ahead of me and I should get some sleep. Please be in prayer for James Street's family, his friends, his classmates, and his teachers. It's one thing to lose a high schooler in a class of 500, but to lose an 8th grader in a class of 50 is a whole different story.

No comments: