Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Twilight Zone

Do you ever feel that you are in the Twilight Zone? I have had that feeling for the last four days... Let me explain.

1st: Wednesday was the 4th which is always crazy by itself, but then we also had the death of James Street (which we didn't know about until Thursday, but it happened on Wednesday).

2nd: Thursday we found out about James' death which sent us all into a tail spin. While dealing with that, we also had to deal with preparing for Fear Factor the next day. I drove down to Ventura to pick up supplies... Ok, so we kinda go all out on Fear Factor and one of our events was going to be bobbing for apples amongst live gold fish. This was not one of my ideas which is probably why it wasn't fully thought out. I bought the gold fish last and drove home (ok, so we might have gone kinda overboard on the gold fish. We wanted to fill a 50 gal tub to look like it had a lot of gold fish so we bought 60 goldfish, but the guy was really lazy and didn't count them and we ended up getting around 100 gold fish). In the 20 minutes that it took me to drive home over half of the goldfish were dead. We let them sit in the bags and adjust to the temp but then we let them out to swim and over half of them were floating on the top of the tub and 40 or so were sideways on the bottom of the tub... Long story short I suggested we dump the fish into one of the ponds at OVS (I figured that they would get eaten and no one would have to know). So we dumped them into the pond Thursday night after all of the kids went to bed and swore not to tell a sole... Ooops!

3rd: So that whole gold fish thing... gets better... I got to OVS on Friday morning and see that there are no dead gold fish in the pond. In fact, there were MORE live ones then there were the day before. Not too many people noticed and we played dumb if anyone asked about it. So the rest of the day went like normal. It was really busy because of the Fear Factor prep (cooking cow tongue is not a whole lot of fun). Fear Factor ran well and we cleaned everything up. As we were cleaning in the kitchen, one of our dorm parents (Nick Stelzer, was helping us with Fear Factor) walked up and said "I just got sprayed by a skunk!" We didn't really believe him and he told us what happened, but as he was telling us, this wave of stench came flying into the kitchen and I thought I was going to be sick! We helped him clean up but it still smelt BAD!! He had also spent about 5 minutes in our office which infected it with the terrible stench. I ran in to get my bag and ran back out and still smelt like skunk spray when I got home.

4th: Saturday I actually had a day off, but I had a lot of work at home I had to do. Sunday I did have to work which kinda was really really rough! First of all, back to that gold fish thing, there are like, 5 of them left now which means that about 50 of them disappeared over night. The day started out wonderfully. I got all my activities inputted into the computer. I also checked my box for the first time all week and in it was an envelope that had my name on it with the word CONFIDENTIAL on it. I figured it was a new confidential list (every session we get a new confidential list that has a list of all of the kid's allergies, meds they take, any diagnoses they have like ADHD or ADD... all the good stuff that we should know about the kids) but considering I already got one, I didn't know what it was. I opened it to find a letter saying congratulations... we would love for you to work for us this school year... yadda yadda yadda. There was also a contract for this 2007/08 school year as Assistant Weekend Coordinator at Ojai Valley School Lower Campus (in case, you aren't getting my hints, I got the job and I will be signing the contract probably tomorrow!!). That was a big plus to the day which quickly got put out by an outburst by one of our campers (he has anger issues and it just got really really bad really really quickly), but everything cooled down and I made it down to the beach. The rest of the afternoon/evening was pretty mellow (Dillon, Katie, and I just kinda hung out around campus after the kids went to the park... we just relaxed and talked the whole time so it was really cool).

So that was my super exciting week/end. I hope you enjoyed the look into my twilight zone.

3 comments:

hestermom said...

Congratulations on the job!

Christine H. said...

I always enjoy looking into your days/weeks. It energizes me sometimes, and wears me out at other times to see all that you do (Oh, to be young again!)

What a week...the goldfish thing it so funny! Does the place still smell like skunk? Congrats on the job--you'll do great!

ATSmith said...

goldfish ... maybe just stick to the box kind.
congrats on the job -- sob, sob