Thursday, November 15, 2007

Authority

Have you ever noticed how the younger generations have zero respect for authority (man I sound like I am 80 years old... forgive me)? Last night at youth group we talked about authority and it couldn't have come at a better time. Ryan put up pictures of different people who have authority over us: parents (it was a picture of the Simpsons and I thought he meant Simpsons instead of parents... apparently my girls had a huge respect for the Simpsons though... kinda sad), George Bush (the President), a Pastor, a Teacher, and Police Officers. We asked the kids to rank the amount of authority these people had over them ( 0 being the least amount and 5 being the greatest). The majority of my group rated them as follows: the Simpsons (before we knew it was supposed to be parents) got a 5, George Bush got a 5, the pastor got a 3, the teacher got a 1, and the police got a 0... What? A 0 for the police? Hello kids, they protect you and can send you to jail!!!

We talked about why these people have authority over us (God has given them authority over us) and it seemed to go pretty well with some of the kids. Madison came by to hang out with me (I haven't seen her in a couple months) and it was so AMAZING to see how much she has grown and how much work God has been doing in her life. Two years ago, she would have rated these authority figures almost identically to the girls last night, but instead she totally defended all of these figures and tried to encourage these girls to respect people... Now, Madison still has a ways to go with honoring God and believing that He is the creator of all things, but last night I saw a totally different kid than I have seen the last few years. God is so AMAZING and it was so encouraging to see Him working in the lives of these kids (especially Madison!)!

In other news, I am babysitting this weekend (Samantha is going out of town with her husband and I am going to stay with grandma and the boys for the weekend!) Please pray that eveything goes well and that Caden doesn't have a meltdown (he usually has one around bedtime and only mom's smell can console him; I'm gonna ask her to leave one of her shirts out so he can still smell her...). For now I am on vacation from work so I get to go to Community this weekend and next weekend! Yay!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Awesome! What an encouragement! Thanks for coming to breakfast with me by the way. I always love hanging out with you!

dix said...

wow...!! wha ta good excersize and you're right... so sad! :( It was encouraging to see the change in Madison though, it sounds and wow, that is beautiful when that happens!!

*HUG*!