Sunday, November 25, 2007

Why do we Dream?

Today after Community, Janae and I were invited to go over to Martha's house for lunch. It was so cool to hang out with everyone again (thanks again for inviting us over Martha! The food was excellent and I always LOVE the company), but what really made the morning for me was a conversation I had with Sage. As I was sitting there listening to everyone's conversations, Sage walked in and asked me a very deep question: "Michaela, Why do we dream?" I froze for a second and looked over to Janae to see if she heard the same thing I heard (she did and gave me the "did she really just say that" look). "I don't know why we dream Sage" I responded.

"And sometimes we have dreams that are Nightmares. But they are not real"

"That's right. Nightmares are scary sometimes, huh? But they aren't real are they Sage?"

"No, Daddy says they aren't real."

A couple minutes later: "Michaela, what are Nightmares?"

"Nightmares are scary dreams. But they are just pretend."

"Yeah, and sometimes they have dragons in them. Dragons that breathe fire on you. But it's just pretend"

"That's right Sage. Just pretend."

"Or sometimes they have Dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are big and scary."

"Well, dinosaurs aren't real... well not anymore anyway."

"But sometimes we have good dreams like playing with Robert. I want to have dreams of me and Robert."

"That would be a very good dream Sage."

"I am drawing all of my dreams."

And well, I guess you get the idea. From there it went to talking about Darren's funny dream and then to "What is a nightmare?" again. How cool though that a 3 year old can ponder questions that I wish I knew the answer to. She is a pretty smart little kid (good job Amber and Ryan... and Ryan I think she totally won best dressed today... I thought she looked pretty darn cute in her skirt...)

Community was pretty cool today. We talked about being a non-conformist/rebel. We also sang a song that I haven't sung in awhile (well, I haven't sung any worship songs in awhile because I haven't been to church in awhile). It was nice to sit back and think about the lyrics:

Jesus Lord of Heaven
I do not deserve
The grace that You have given
And the promise of Your Word

Lord I stand in wonder
Of the sacrifice You've made
With mercy beyond measure
My debt you freely paid

Your love is deeper than the oceans
Higher than the heavens
Reaches beyond the stars in the sky

Jesus, Your love has no bounds
Jesus, Your love has no bounds

Isn't it amazing how huge Jesus' love for us is? What's even more amazing is that I have done nothing to deserve any of it!

2 comments:

ATSmith said...

it is pretty amazing ... deeper than any ocean is God's love for us.

dix said...

what a phenomenal post, Michaela!! I love kids' questions and I love that conversation you were able to have with sweet Sage. That is magical and inspiring.

I love that she's drawing her dreams. that is a wonderful processing idea!!

and I'm so glad you got to go to Community recently!! Praise God for that source of encouragement and growth!! What an amazing song. I'm not sure if I know it?