Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Lent Anyone?

Throughout High School and college I have heard people talk about what they were giving up for Lent. Last year, due to a strong conviction on Fair Trade in the Chocolate industry, Ryan and Amber gave up chocolate for Lent. That was the first time that I actually looked into what Lent was and why it is practiced.

Well, in case you weren't aware (and don't feel bad if you didn't because I wasn't aware of it until Ryan sent me an email about it today), tomorrow is Ash Wednesday which marks the first day of Lent. Like I said I wouldn't have known it was Lent unless Ryan hadn't sent me this email of a different Lent activity:

I saw this on Scot McKnight's (author/theologian) blog site, and thought
that it would be a great activity for us all to participate in.
40 Day Challenge <http://www.jesuscreed.org/?p=3384>
/I am asking my blog’s readers to consider a challenge for Lent. No, it
is not giving up anything. Instead, it helps move Lent into 40 days of
living out the gospel: I am asking you to begin and end each day of Lent
(beginning Wednesday) by reciting the Jesus Creed. And, whenever it
comes to mind throughout the day, I am asking you to recite it again. In
your evening recitation of the Jesus Creed, we are asking you to give
some moments of recollection to confess any sins against the Jesus Creed
throughout the day./

/Here it is:/

*/Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all
your mind, and with all your strength.
The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself.
There is no commandment greater than these./*

/What we are discovering — in tune with the wisdom of ancient Israel’s
recitation of Shema and the early church’s recitation of the Jesus Creed
and the Lord’s Prayer — is that this sacred rhythm works love of God and
love of others into the bones and sinews of each day. Who will take this
challenge? /



Basically the challenge is to begin each day with a recitation of the Jesus Creed and ends each day with another recitation of the Jesus Creed and a personal check of how well you lived out those words. It sounds like a neat way to participate in Lent this year and see how this changes our day to day lives. I am going to try it out and I pray that God will allow me to live out the Gospel and Love God by Loving Others.

No comments: