Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Fresh Look

I realized today that I have not yet updated you all on my current church situation. As you know (because I seem to type it every time I blog), I can't go to my normal church (Community) because of my work schedule. Three weeks ago, I finally got the courage to try something different. I went out to Simi Valley for Axis (it's Cornerstone Christian's college service on Sunday nights). It was a good service. I had never heard Francis Chan speak before so that was really cool. I totally felt comfortable there because it was all kids my age, but it didn't feel like home to me. No one said hi to me or welcomed me which doesn't seem very typical of people my age. So that one was alright, but I was still looking. About a week later, Danielle Sloneker called me to let me know about a new bible study starting up for college students in town. Eric Olson, the new youth intern at OPC wanted to start up something in town for the few college kids to get together and encourage each other through studying the bible. The study is cool and Eric is totally rad! The only problem is the group is super small (like two other people other than me). I am trying to give it a fair shot, but it's something that I am really struggling with.

Which brings me to last Sunday. Our church had a Saturday night service that was switched to Sunday nights at 5 (but apparently they talk and hang out for the first 30 mins so I actually can shoot over there after work and be ok). It's a super small group (like 6 people that I have never met before), but it's a really neat community of people and I am actually kinda excited about it! So that's where I am at as far as church and the bible and community...

As far as the fresh new look goes, at Church on Sunday, Paul (out pastor) challenged us all to really think about this Holy week and what it really meant for Jesus to die for us. A lot of people look at Holy Week with the end being a happy ending of Jesus rising from the dead. It's happy for us because we know the ending, but what was it like for His disciples? Was Good Friday really that Good for them? Paul challenged us to read through the gospels this week but to stop before the resurrection to try and bring us to a place of brokenness and pain that Jesus was brutally murdered for us. It's actually sort of depressing (in a good way) to read through the gospels and to only focus on Jesus's life and death and I would totally recommend it to anyone reading this blog.

Yesterday I went to the Labyrinth at church and was literally face to face with the death of Christ. Whoever is in town should try and get there tonight or Friday because it really opens your eyes to what it really meant for Jesus to die for us. Without giving it all away, there is one part in the labyrinth where you are getting your mug shot taken (the second half is like you are being arrested and walking down death row). On the podium was Galatians 2:20 (I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.) and as you looked up to the big screen, there was an image of you on the cross. I can honestly say that broke me to pieces. I have thought about verses like Gal 2:20 and Matt 16:24-25 about being crucified with Christ and taking up your cross, but I have honestly never visually put myself up on that cross as Jesus died. The truth is that's what I deserve and He did it for me... My mind is truly boggled and perplexed...

3 comments:

ATSmith said...

It was so vulnerable to see myself up on the screen ... and standing up on the wooden cross was so vulnerable too.

Christine H. said...

Ditto Amber...those two things got to me, too, at the labrynth.

I'm excited about the college Bible study. I'm trying to tell more students about it, so the numbers should increase. Ojai needs a college study, and I was so glad to hear that Eric was doing that.

Alexa said...

Hey! Iknow Eric from OPC and yeah he's pretty far out. I'll be back in town on the 31st so any time you want someone to go with you any new groups or churches . . I'M SO DOWN!