Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween???

Growing up I never celebrated Halloween. My mom didn't like the holiday so we never really participated in it. It was sort of a bummer to hear about all of my friend's costumes and stuff, but it didn't bother me too much. Now that my mom doesn't care what we do, I have been trying to bring myself to like Halloween. I sort of decided these last few days that I really don't like Halloween here in the United States!

It really comes down to the following reasons:
  • Halloween is a time when kids (and adults) dress up in scary costumes (like clowns... Ryan!). I am not a scary movie person. I don't like Haunted Houses. I don't find any thrill and fun in being scared. So a holiday devoted to being scared... Not so cool...
  • On Halloween night, teens think it's cool to play pranks on people... egging houses, smashing pumpkins... That's not cool...
  • Halloween is also a major excuse for girls to dress up like slooters and get away with it (well, sort of get away with it... I still make fun of them...). There is nothing fun about girls dressing like slooters...
Now, the history of Halloween is pretty cool and in a lot of countries it has remained a fun holiday. However after exploring what Halloween looks like here in the US, I decided I really don't like it. I might have to stick with teaching my kids (if I have any...) traditions of Dia de los Muertos instead of Halloween... So anyway, Happy Halloween everyone! Hope you had a good night!

2 comments:

Christine H. said...

Okay, so don't go to my blog tonight...it smacks of Halloween! : )

Katie said...

Here here, friend! I just can't seem to bring myself to get into the Halloween spirit. It's fun to see other people dressed up...sometimes...but not really all that fun for me.