Monday, December 24, 2007

Como La Flor


Most of the time I find myself identifying with my "American" half but there are a few times in the year that I take great pride in being a Mexican. The other day was definately one of those times. In Mexican culture, traditionally families will make tamales to celebrate the Christmas season. I have great memories of helping my mom and my abuela and now I find myself looking forward to making them every year. The only problem with making tamales is it can be rather time consuming and, if you are not careful, sort of expensive. Many of my friends have expressed interest in making tamales the last few years and this year I was able to invite Amber and Katie over to join in the fun. The day started out early when my mom and I drove down to Oxnard to buy the masa and other supplies for tamales making. Once we got home, I turned on some of the only Latin music I have (man you gotta love Selena and Jaci Velasquez) and started getting things ready for my friends to arrive. I wish I had taken more pictures, but I guess I got caught up and forgot. In addition to making tamales, my mom and I were busy in the kitchen making nopales, frijoles, and cutting up jícama and pepinos to put in some jugo de límon con sal y chile... So tasty!!! I am very proud of my Mexican heritage and I hope to explore that side of me more in the future. For now I am happy with dancing around the kitchen to Como La Flor and attempting to do the "washing machine."

2 comments:

Michael @ Herbivoracious.com said...

Best thing in the world! We inaugurated veggie tamales as our Jewish xmas tradition this year too.

Christine H. said...

Cool!

So, I have been wondering how you put a link on, like AMBER that goes to Amber's blog, or a link to a previous post on your blog...email me when you get a chance.