Friday, December 14, 2007

Deck The Halls... or Something Like That

Tonight was my work's Christmas Party and I have to say I don't think I have laughed so hard since my life-guard training last year. The evening started out with an astounding dinner of prime rib, salmon, potatoes, salad, and some funny goat cheese-vegetable bread looking thing. I sat with my parents, Rosa and her husband (Rosa used to work at Meiner's Oaks with my mom; they are good friends and she just came on this year as the Elementary Spanish teacher), April (one of the girl dorm parents and a killer soccer player), Beatrice (the newest girl's dorm parent and a super cool person I might add), and Morgan (one of the boy's dorm parents and a really nice guy). I bounced between conversations (I was in the middle of the two groups so I would pop in on both sides here and there) during dinner and then made my way into the library for the evening's festivities.

As I said in my previous post, this last week I participated in Secret Santa game with all of the staff members. I was given some lovely gifts and some funny hints throughout the week, but by Thursday's hint I was able to guess. My Secret Santa had no clue who I was all week (well, until today at lunch when my mom gave it all away... One of my clues was "I have survived traveling through Europe with no money and no clothes" and he asked my mom "Has your daughter been to Europe... being the terrible lier that she is, she said "I don't know where my daughter has been".... thanks mom!) and it turns out he really liked the gifts and said I did a great job with the clues (I guess that freak-out last Sunday was a real waste...). The rest of the night was hilarious! It's one thing to see coworkers with the kids and everything but it is a completely different ballgame when all the kids are gone and there are buckets and buckets of alcohol...

Anyway, it would be too much to recount all of the hilariousness of the night (one lady in particular kept cracking jokes about Mexicans while my Mom, Rosa, another Hispanic lady, and myself were sitting right next to her... she was joking of course but they kept on coming and anyone who didn't know her well enough would have thought she was the biggest racist alive) but I don't think I have laughed so hard since my life-guard training last April (this same lady that was cracking the Mexican jokes did the life-guard training with me and I seriously almost drowned because I was laughing so hard from all of her jokes and sarcastic remarks). The party was fun (even though it got a little tense at some moments... we were playing this trivia game with questions about the school and they wanted super specific answers... if someone gave a different answer that was correct but not the one on the paper, their answer was counted as wrong and they lost a point... it was supposed to be a fun thing, but some people got way too competitive... I thought there were going to be some blows thrown... I haven't heard the *F* word so many times in a row since High School) but I am so glad to be on vacation!!!

No comments: