Saturday, February 10, 2007

Update

Well, it has been four days since my Mom had surgery and she is now home! She has definitely been recovering very well. As I said before, my Mom had surgery to remove a tumor from her colon on Wednesday. Wednesday she was pretty out of it all day; the tube going up her nose and down her throat to suck out the excess fluid didn't help any. Thursday I spent most of the day at the hospital. They finally took out that nasty tube which made my Mom much happier! Friday I had to work, but I made sure to go by the hospital before work. My Mom was doing really well. Later that day, they took out her catheter and she was finally able to drink liquids (she hadn't had anything to eat/drink since Monday morning). My grandma came up and totally babied my Mom. It was the funniest thing I had ever seen; My Mom asked me to hand her the chicken broth and as I was handing off to my Mom, my grandma intercepted it and blew on it like she did for us when we were little. This morning my Mom was finally able to eat some eggs and mashed potatoes which finally allowed her to come home (just in time too because she had just gotten a roommate today who couldn't stop throwing up when she was awake and snored when she slept). The biopsy on the tumor came back as cancerous but the good news (great news really) is it hasn't spread anywhere else. So basically she had cancer in the tumor, but they cut the tumor out so she doesn't have cancer anymore. The doctors will probably put her on some chemo, but it's really just a preventative chemo. So it's all been really good news so far. Please continue to pray for my Mom and my family as we still have a long way to go. My Mom has to be home for four weeks (if you don't know my Mom, lets just say she has a hard time sitting down for four minutes let alone four weeks) and she really can't be up and about too much for at least the first two. Please pray that we can be as helpful to my Mom as humanly possible without going nuts. But there is the update. Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hey Mich,
Great to hear that your mom is doing well. She's got a great family to take good care of her! We're praying for you guys.