Friday, November 17, 2006

BABEL

Like I said in my last posting, I went to see a movie. I know it's remarkable, I actually left my house and did something normal for once. If you can't tell already, the movie I saw was Babel. I have been wanting to see it since I saw the previews and I finally talked someone into going with me. Unfortunately for me that person was my sister. Don't get me wrong, I love doing stuff with my sister; she's just not the type of person who would appreciate this type of movie like I did.

I absolutely LOVED this movie. I thought it was an amazing story line and the execution of the film was astounding! If you haven't heard much about this movie, let me explain the premise of the movie. Basically an American couple are on vacation in Morocco when the wife gets shot which sets off this huge international affair. That's basically all I knew going into the movie, but after watching it I can tell you it goes much deeper then that. Yes that's kinda the basis of the film, but it's not just about the couple; it's about four different sets of people from different worlds who are affected by this one moment in time.

I don't want to give too much away, but I have to say that there were two parts (there were definitely way more then two but so I won't kill the movie I will only share two) in this movie that just touched my heart. The first was a scene after Cate Blanchett's character, Susan, had been shot and was waiting in a small village with her husband (Brad Pitt's character, Richard) for an ambulance to come and take them to a hospital. They are in the hut of an old woman who speaks no English. This woman sees Susan in pain and reaches out to her by lighting up some tobacco or Pot of some sort and sharing it with Susan to numb her pain. I loved seeing how, despite the huge language barrier, this woman was able to reach out and show compassion for another human being in need.

The second part that just tore at my heart was when Adriana Barazza's character, Amelia (she's the nanny to Susan and Richard's kids) begins to cry. I won't tell you why she is crying because you should go see for yourself, but to put it simply I was able to connect to the passion of this character because she reminded me of my grandmother (obviously my mom's mom because she is Mexican). The only time I have seen my grandmother cry was at her mother's funeral. There I saw this once so strong woman break down to tears. In this movie, Amelia breaks down and seeing her break down brought me back to that moment of seeing my grandmother cry and it truly broke my heart. It's hard to explain cause it's a total personal thing, but I hope you kinda get the idea.

To put it simply, I absolutely loved this movie and would totally recommend it to you all. However, before I recommend it, I just want to say that it is rated R (I sometimes forget to mention that part when I recommend movies and it will probably get me in trouble some day). If you have a weak stomach, don't see it (for some reason I felt nauseous the whole time; not that it was a violent movie, but the passion of the film and those in the film made me nauseous; in a good way though); If you have a weak heart, don't see this movie because your heart will be pulled in all kinds of directions that will drive you off the wall. To put it plainly, there is no excuse to not go see this movie.

1 comment:

ATSmith said...

Will have to see this one. Okay, next time call me to go to the movies. I would love to go with you!