Friday, November 03, 2006

Stop and Smell the Roses

Lately I have been getting bored with the music that I listen to every morning on my way to school. I don't really get alot of new music cause I am a poor college student who really wants to go to Australia for New Years. So I listen to a lot of the same thing over and over and over again. On Tuesday I copied my sister's CD, The Color Purple, to my computer and burned a copy for my car. I listened to it on the way to school and the lyrics to the song The Color Purple astounded me:

"Look at all he give us. Laughin', and singin'. Sky over our heads, birds singin' to us. I think it piss God off if anybody even walk past the color purple in a field and not notice it. He say, "look what I made for you." God is the flowers and everything else that was or ever will be. And when you feel the truth so real, and when you love the way you feel, you've found it just as sure as moonlight bless the night. Like a blade of corn, Like a honeybee, Like a waterfall, all a part of me. Like the Color Purple, where do it come from? Open up your eyes, look what God has done."

On my way back to my car on Thursday after my classes, I walked the same direction that I always do, but as I got closer to the parking lot I walked past this mini garden full of beautiful roses that smelt amazing. I have been walking this way for two months now and I have yet to notice these flowers. Isn't it funny how we get so busy with our lives that we don't even notice the little things that make life beautiful. We get so sidetracked with school, work, ipods (which about 80% of the kids at my school have on while walking from class to class), Myspace... Maybe we all should just take some time to stop and smell the roses.

2 comments:

ATSmith said...

Totally! I got on walks at least 3x per week and sometimes I am minutes from home before I even realize the beautiful sky, the Ojai mountains, etc.

Katie said...

Hey Mich!
Great blog! Isn't nature wonderful?!? I was really missing the Ojai fall this last week, but didn't think to stop and look at where I am right now. The midwest is beautiful in the fall! So many colors. God's beautiful creation is everywhere...even in Missouri!
Katie